- How did you get into the construction industry? By pure accident ! I had to take a summer class to graduate from U of Maryland. Since I didn’t graduate in May with the rest of my class, I had to decline job offers to start in June. After graduating, I was left without a serious job offer. I had interviewed with a construction firm while in school, but never heard back from them. I contacted them and eventually got hired. I knew very little about the construction industry, but was immediately captivated by work. The rest is history.
- What do you like most about being a Senior Project Manager? Being directly involved with the day-to-day construction of a project and working together with the superintendents, subcontractors, design team, and owner. It is not easy to maintain amicable relationships when you are building a project that is completely custom. There are many different expectations from all parties involved. Managing those expectations and maintaining relationships is a big part of the job. You don’t always get it right, but it is something I find challenging.
- What has been a favorite project you’ve worked on recently? I am going to choose Carroll Skilled Nursing. Bob Huff and I were assigned the project mid-way into the schedule, which can be a difficult challenge. At the end of the project, the owner commended us for our efforts at the grand opening ceremony. There is a sense of personal satisfaction you receive when this occurs.
- What do you like most about working at Chesapeake? The first thing that comes to mind, is all of our superintendents, field personnel, project coordinators, project engineers, safety managers, and accounting staff that I have had the pleasure of working with over the last 9 plus years. We are a well-respected company because these top-notch professionals consistently do a great job.
- What do you enjoy doing when you’re not at work? I spend a lot of time doing outdoor activities such as trail hiking, bike riding, jogging, and swimming. In the winter months, I occasionally go skiing. In previous years, I did a lot of sailing and boating activities, and hope to return to them in the near future. I also enjoy listening to music, going to concerts and plays, and traveling, especially to visit my children and their families who live in Georgia, Hawaii, Cambodia, North Carolina, as well as spending time with my youngest at home in Bel Air.
Recently Completed: Porsche Hunt Valley Celebrates Grand Opening
Porsche Hunt Valley held its grand opening last week. Over 200 people gathered together to celebrate and tour the newly...
Safety: Recognizing Denny Little and Adriano Sosa
Over the last year, we have had two different occasions where our field staff’s actions have helped to save the lives of our...